Thread: Idle surge

1. #1 Idle surge 
    Hope this is the right place for this post.

So I have a S-14 KA N/A 5 speed, recently the Idle has started surging up and down.

I'm not sure where to begin or what sensors go along with looking at to find the problem, I know about the MAF, but that's it, not sure what other sensors might be associated in regards to this issue.

Heres a sidenote, I'm not sure if it's related but I recently put in a new radiator, and since I've replace the thermostat last year with a Nissan one, I've noticed before changing my current radiator the Temp has stayed relatively low, well now that I've put in a new radiator the temp barely stays at the C level line, If I start it up and let it warm up the temp gauge will go to just about where it should be, but with this cold weather now when i drive it'll def stay at C line or below, not sure if this is causing an issue with the Idle ass well?

In any case I'm going to try to find a parts store that can run a diagnostic to see if a code comes up but any help in pin pointing what is causing the idle surge issue would help.

Also the Idle doesn't start to surge up and down until I actually drive it after start up, while it's warming up it doesn't do this.

Tank is offline Why am I doing this? Men with guts attack those corners...
    Check you connector going to your MAF also check the IAC connector and sensor. When I had a Ka and experienced this issue I did not have the connector for the MAF seated properly. At that point I also cleaned the IAC sensor. Please note that was a stab in the dark based on what happened to me in the past. I hope that helps.

Mistress & Girlfriend

hey Tank you might be on spot, I just came back from auto parts store and they didn't have OBD1 connector but as I got back and car was warmed up temp wise, idle was still surging, so I checked the MAF, when I disconnected the connector to it, the idle raised up some BUT it was not surging, as soon as I started to connect the connector back to the MAF it wanted to stall, once it was connected all the way in, it would surge again.....so It looks like it might be the MAF sensor. only curious as to what the connector runs to, is it strait to the ECU? or is there another sensor(s) on route to the ECU?

Tank is offline Why am I doing this? Men with guts attack those corners...
    Sorry I don't know where or what else the MAF connects to in the car. This is where I'm hoping someone that knows the electronics of the 240 might be able to step in and help. I was fortunate that mine just needed to be re-seated. Maybe you can clean the connectors and that might help but at this point I don't know what to do. You might be able to catch up with someone with a KA and for testing purposes swap MAFs out to see if it is the MAF or the connector. Sorry I can't be of any more help and my MAF will not work I'm no longer running a KA.

Mistress & Girlfriend

It runs through the harness straight to the ECU.

Thread Information