Thread: Be careful when you say Techno...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Be careful when you say Techno... 
    flip is offline What is power without control? 240Atlanta.com
    I always correct people when they use this term. Many people mis-use it. Most people call all Electronic music "Techno" when in all actuality Techno is really a certain classification music under Electronic. Heres some history...

Techno is a form of electronic dance music that had its early beginnings in Western Europe in the late 1970s[1] and later developed and established as a genre in Detroit, Michigan during the 1980s.[2] It was influenced by Chicago house, electro, New Wave, funk and futuristic fiction themes that were prevalent and relative to modern culture during the end of the Cold War in industrial America at that time. Following the initial success of Detroit techno as a musical culture at the very least on a regional level an expanded and related subset of genres in the 1990s emerged globally.
    The term "techno" is derived from the word technology. Music journalists and fans of the genre are generally selective in their use of the term, careful not to conflate it with related but distinct genres, such as house, trance and hardcore. At the same time, "techno" is commonly confused with general terms such as electronic music and dance music.[3][4] Electronic dance music has many forms, one of which is techno.

thanks, techno boy.
    www.virjinjorj.com
    ***be virjin jorj, buy a shirt, save a hoe***
    clothing style for Freedom Drifters.

Virjin Jorj supports 240atlanta.com but is not liable for the actions performed by its members. And no, i do not want to bang you and your girlfriend,may consider married couples.Honor and Loyalty. -------VirjinJorj lifestyle.

ThatS13Guy is offline Just another 240 owner Go buy me some race gas!
    well hes right i hate it when people misuse the terms....or they say its "all the same" when in fact they are very different....anyways reps for you flip good write up lol

flip is offline What is power without control? 240Atlanta.com
    Quote Originally Posted by v-empire View Post
    thanks, techno boy.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatS13Guy View Post
    well hes right i hate it when people misuse the terms....or they say its "all the same" when in fact they are very different....anyways reps for you flip good write up lol
    Thanks! I grabbed it off of wikipedia...

ThatS13Guy is offline Just another 240 owner Go buy me some race gas!
    wikipedia ftw!!!!

MossMan is offline RB25 S13 in the works 240Atlanta Sponsor
    Good call. Thanks for the history lesson :>

I think the same goes for the term Emo. Here's some more intuitive wikipedia knowledge:

Emo is a style of rock music which describe several independent variations of music with common stylistic roots. As such, use of the term has been the subject of much debate. In the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, DC music scene of the mid-1980s. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the emotional performances of bands in the Washington DC scene and some of the offshoot regional scenes such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and later, Moss Icon.

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to refer to the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason had a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles. As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the mainstream style. As a result, the term "emo" became a vaguely defined identifier rather than a specific genre of music.

thanks to the courtesy of the masses we now have:

Emo (pronounced /***712;i***720;mo***650;/) is a somewhat ambiguous slang[1] term most frequently used to describe or refer to a fashion, style[2], or attitude linked to post-hardcore. Emo may also describe emo music or a general emotional state (as in to "feel emo"). It is also (sometimes pejoratively) used to identify someone who fits a particular emo stereotype or category or someone who is overly-emotional.[3][4][5] The term's definition is still the subject of debate, with some question as to whether it can even be defined
    Last edited by Decker; 10-01-2007 at 12:06 PM.

In the end its just a name and it means nothing. Sure you need to label things so people know what your talking about sometimes but dont get too into what is what haha. In all honesty I cant tell most "electronic music" apart aside from maybe drum and bass haha... but I can tell if its good or not. Even after reading that description of techno I will still hear things at stores in the mall and go "is this techno?"

This thread reminded me of an old website I used to go to http://www.elftrance.com/Html/ElfInterface.html haha. I havent been there forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Decker View Post

thanks to the courtesy of the masses we now have:

Emo (pronounced /***712;i***720;mo***650;/) is a somewhat ambiguous slang[1] term most frequently used to describe or refer to a fashion, style[2], or attitude linked to post-hardcore. Emo may also describe emo music or a general emotional state (as in to "feel emo"). It is also (sometimes pejoratively) used to identify someone who fits a particular emo stereotype or category or someone who is overly-emotional.[3][4][5] The term's definition is still the subject of debate, with some question as to whether it can even be defined
    and then came along...

Screamo is a musical genre which evolved from emo and hardcore punk in the early 1990s. "Emo" and "screamo" are essentially meant to describe the same style of music, changing with the progression of bands and fans. Characteristic of the genre are "loud-to-soft" (sometimes chaotic) dynamics, harmonized guitars with fast-paced riffs and twinkly melodic breaks, frantic/abrasive shouting or screaming, angry/abstract/introspective lyrics, low-end production, and exceptionally energetic live shows. Screamo bands also tend to bury the vocals in with the other instruments and use more arpeggiated progressions, dynamic and time changes. Breakdowns in screamo songs are often slower and quieter than in other genres, though there is a tendency of still screaming during the soft parts.

haha! I love me some screamo!
    Last edited by shawn shawn; 10-01-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

haha. breakdowns FTW!

Thread Information