Thread: Some quick advice for the 240 Owner

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Some quick advice for the 240 Owner 
    Wes is offline I have a Haggard Swagger Sideways officer?
    I've noticed a large amount of stock cars blowing up lately, and I've come to a few conclusions/pointers that I'd like to share:

-You should do an oil change before you spend that $20 on flat blacking your car.

-KA-T is cool, but you might want to spend $50 on a gasket set to stop that KA from leaking if you expect it to last, before you spend $50 on an ebay intercooler.

-I know, I know. You're saving for an SR. But, don't you think you should put a $40 waterpump and a $10 thermostat in your car before you have to spend $500 on another KA?

-Going through 5 sets of used tires in about 3 months is not cheaper than buying one set of new tires. I know money is tight with everyone, but think ahead. Especially if your car is a daily driver, why risk crashing your only ride riding on shit tires?

-Don't buy a loudass exhaust if your motor is completely stock. Just makes you look like an idiot, especially if said motor runs like shit.

-Before you buy coilovers, make sure the rest of your suspension is in decent shape. Check your ball joints, tie rod ends, and subframe bushings. You would be surprised how much better your car will handle or ride with just those things replaced.

-Ebay parts suck. Don't buy them. Ebay coilovers suck, and IMO are just an accident waiting to happen. I've installed countless sets for people, and I honestly feel bad about myself everytime I do.

-If you have a hole in your radiator, or are leaking coolant, get that fixed before you lower your car.

-If your car is pissing oil, instead of putting atleast a quart a week in for months, figure out where the leak is coming from, and fix it.

-Also, remember to burp the coolant system. Don't just add water and go. Alot of people have different methods. I do this. Remove rad cap, fill with water, crank car. Set the heater on hot, and the mode on foot/defrost, and let it run and add water until you dont see any bubbles at all at the cap, then crack the bleeder screw, and wait for strait water to come out, then close that, and put the cap back on, and you shouldn't have any over heating problems. And just for the record, I always do a 50/50 water/coolant mixture. Alot of people like different ratios, but I've never had a problem with a 50/50 mix.

-Also, if your coolant is super dirty, spend the $10 on a coolant flush kit at autozone. It's a little kit that comes with t-fittings that you install on the top coolant hose. You install the T, hook it to a hose, undo the radiator drain plug and cap, turn on the hose, and just let the car run until clean water is shootin out of the radiator. You'd be amazed at how dirty the coolant in some of the S13's I've picked up was.

-When it comes to buying oil, just run the recommended weight from Nissan. And don't put synthetic in a motor with tons of miles. Not only is it a waste of money on oil, but more than likely, you're car will develop ticks and leaks that it didn't have before.

I also made myself a little list of what I do on any used car I buy that I plan on keeping for a while. It's anywhere from $100-$225 depending on the car, but can potentially save you a ton of money in the long run.

-New Timing Belt (If the car is belt driven)
    -New Waterpump
    -New thermostat. I personally like Fail safe ones, just cause if they lock, they lock open.
    -Go ahead and do an oil change, tranny fluid change, and coolant flush.
    -New Fuel Filter
    -New plugs, as well as a new distributor cap and rotor. If your car has 200k+ on it, and you think they are the original spark plug wires, go ahead and get some new ones.
    -Check all accessory belts on you're car. Last think you want is the waterpump belt to break on the highway and not notice.

If my price list is the same as it was a year or two ago.

For a water pump ($36) Thermostat ($10), plugs ($10), Fuel filter ($12 for a Z32), dizzy cap and rotor (I forget off the top, but Im pretty sure its less than $20 for both) All belts should be less than like $30. Oil and filter is another $20 for Valvoline and a Purolator filter.

Thats right around $120 for most of the routine maintenance that people overlook on their cars when they buy them. And most of the time, its the lack of routine maintenance, IE, waterpump seizing/thermostat locking that causes most engine damage, or low oil, or the wrong weight oil.

I know, it kind of sucks to spend that much the second you bring a car home, but, if it makes you feel any better, I spent $225 on maintenance items for my GSR.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this.

I know times are tight, but I'd rather have a stock car that has maintenance up to date on it, than a modded car I worry about blowing up because of shit maintenance. nd its better to spend $100 now, than $500 later. I mean, really I am super anal about replacing thermostats. Its a $8 dollar part most of the time, than can save you atleast $200 doing a headgasket job yourself, or $600 having someone else do it.

So with that being said, if you want your daily drifter to be reliable, do some fucking maintenance before you attempt to modify it. Everyone wants a car with dope wheels and a sick stance, but that doesnt do you too well when its sitting in your driveway because the motor blew.

-Wes
    Last edited by Wes; 04-13-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Good write up, should help alot of newbies to 240s out.

very nice advice on common things that people don't even do. I hope when you said "add water" you meant coolant; otherwise, your bock will be damaged.

sounds good, done most of that stuff myself since i bought a shit box

To me this is common sense, but I've seen plenty of kids take a car right from the other buyer and take it drifting.

Who knows how old that oil is, or how bad those plugs are!

BN Sports | Varrstoen | Competition Clutch | DMax | Kaaz | ISIS

Iron Block LSX | SWD Formula D Pro-Am

Wes is offline I have a Haggard Swagger Sideways officer?
    Went back and edited a few things. I wrote this as more of a rant, so I may have skipped a few things, but, I like to think the majority is there.

im happy i actually replaced everything on mines, Nothing leaks and it runs stronger than before

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

im in need to replace my motor mounts

great post,
    sticky forsure
    Rule 34 Exists
    Quote Originally Posted by 240MCshift View Post
    Teardrops are 4 x 100

maintenance is the most important before buying aftermarket parts that have no part in car care. i porobably need you to swap out my engine mount

Moved and Stuck.

did you seriously just type all that up wes?

Thread Information