Thread: I'd like to see more 240s at Autocross

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 I'd like to see more 240s at Autocross 
    Did not see any AutoX threads started in this forum so I just thought I might bring it up.

I think the weight balance and low center of gravity of a 240 can bode well for autocross. RWD cars are plentiful if not the majority at these events so I do not want to hear that as any type of handicap about these cars. Being over-steer bias is not the same thing as being RWD so I can understand this as a topic for discussion. I know of one guy in ATL that has been out for a couple and he loves it (as all us drivers do).

AutoX prices range from $30-$60 generally. Depending on when in the season, and which club you are participating with, you can get 4-8 heats (novices get about 1 more usually), and instructors are plentiful.

For those interested in Autocross there are a couple clubs in the altanta region that put them on:

SCCA Solo atlanta - http://www.atlantascca.com/events/solo/
    Peach state Porsche Club of America - http://www.peachstatepca.org/Autocross/Index/1

Im sure there are more. Please post up if you know of anymore.

Discussion on 240s being good/bad for autocross are welcome. But also keep in mind that racing and high performance driving has more to do with the DRIVER and DRIVING.

Start Trolling.

I would like to see this as well.

I think I may have polluted a couple guys at the santa run last month.

The only issue I can see with the 240 is after you do motor swaps and stuff like that you are in a class that you more or less cant be competitive in without spending big big bucks on tires, susp., power, brakes, really all of the above...

I believe the 240 runs in STS or STX. STS... that is miata and old civic group. Sorry but a fairly prepped miata is going to DESTROY a 240... then there are the civics, there is just something not right about those things...

STX will have you going up againest E36's, Sentra Spec Vs, and a couple other REALLY well designed cars.

Street prepared is prolly your best bet for being competitive, atleast in the atlanta region. You would have to stick with your KA though, because I dont think SRs or CAs arent legal since they didnt come with that motor in the US.

As for the Driver comment... yes the driver is the best mod you can do to any car... but when you have an A class driver in a well setup car againest another A class driver in a poorly setup car the well setup car is going to walk all over the other guy.

240s do quite well on road courses though, a buddy of mine and another gentleman on here have put their's around AMP and\or Road Atlanta.

That is a very good perspective. Motor Swaps are going to screw you in the class designation. But really there are not a whole lot of people competing in these classes.

AutoX isnt always for people who want to get 1st place too. Personally I do it for the thrill and to improve my Driving. It would be nice to be good enough to be a competitor but that in itself takes a lot of investment time wise and money wise. Unless you are a prodigy, in which case you should still be out there lol.

I think you are right though, people get scared in competing in classes where the rules are pretty much "anything goes." But I say get out there with what you've got and decide for yourself.

Very true, I end up racing myself more than I race the other people. However it does get REALLY fun if you get a whole bunch of people you know out there racing againest each other, its like go karting with cars. lol

The experience and learning is one of the main reasons I do it, you can learn so much about car setup, driving, and limits without almost killing yourself.

If you dont want to compete there is always time only, but I always throw my name into the competition regardless of why I am there just for the fun of it because then you get ranked in the best times of the day list.

Do you run in Atlanta? Were you at the COC or the last points event last year? If so remember that UGLY green and silver miata... lol

I have only AutoX in Atlanta. I just moved to Greenville in August. I did not make it out to the last one of the season last year due to the move. But I plan on being out there more this season. I will probably split my time between the upstate region in SC and Atlanta. There probably is less competition up here

Ya there most likely is, the atlanta region usually has a really good turn out but that leads to less runs. lol

The mid GA ones are rumored to get like 8 runs per event compared to the Atlanta Region's 4.

Where can I look for event's in the Ga, SC region? I live in Augusta which is right on the border of sc and ga.

glws lol. its harder to fing these cars set up for that. most people think they are dk when they get a 240

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Naber View Post
    Where can I look for event's in the Ga, SC region? I live in Augusta which is right on the border of sc and ga.
    www.soloatlanta.com

This is the site for the atlanta region events.

If you go to the SCCA website you should be able to find events anywhere in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever210 View Post
    glws lol. its harder to fing these cars set up for that. most people think they are dk when they get a 240
    Haha indeed. Its funny other RWD car communities dont get drift fever, just 240s. Probably because they are cheapest option for drifting though.

Thread Information